Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The 12-Bar Blues

Early on, children detect not only the phonemes used in their native tongue but also the syntax of their language. Music also has syntax, and part of the development of musical literacy is recognition of musical syntax and form. This activity provides exposure to the American (originally African-American) form called the 12-bar blues. The most well-known blues form, the 12-bar blues is based on a set progression of chords across 12 measures of music: I-I-I-I-IV-IV-I-I-V-IV-I-I.



Angie, Kindermusik Teacher
503-708-2827
web site: www.kindermusikwithangie.kindermusik.net
blog: www.kindermusikwithangie.blogspot.com
Become a fan of my Facebook page!
http://ping.fm/fBXOq

No comments:

Post a Comment

Angie's shared items

About Me

My photo
Portland, Oregon, United States